Okay so I have never been a huge fan of salmon, but this BLACKENED CREOLE SALMON right here has officially made me a believer. It’s zesty, lemony, spicy, and complements the fish so perfectly! I’M SOLD. And it only took 30 minutes from start to finish. We are SO obsessed 😍😍😍😍
For the creole rub:
1 Tsp cayenne powder
1 Tsp smoked paprika
2 Tsp onion powder
2 Tsp garlic powder
2 Tsp fennel seeds
2 Tsp dried basil leaves
2 Tsp salt
Fresh cracked pepper
For the Cilantro Butter:
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
For the salmon and veggies:
1 large fillet of wild salmon
2 Tbsp olive oil
2-3 carrots peeled and sliced into rounds
2 cups Cherry tomatoes sliced in half (I used san marzano)
1/2 onion sliced
2 cloves garlic sliced
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup milk
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup grated Gouda cheese (optional)
1. Mix together all spices for the rub in a small bowl and set aside
2. Remove salmon from the fridge, Wash under cold water, and pat dry with a paper towel. Wrap salmon fillet in the paper towel and set on a plate for about 10-15 minutes to allow excess water to get absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, in a small microwaveable bowl, mix together 2 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro and microwave for 30 seconds. Set cilantro butter aside.
4. Remove salmon from paper towel and using a brush (or your hands), brush cilantro butter over each side of the fillet.
5. Using your hands, pat the spice rub evenly and generously on both sides of the buttered fillet (you should still have about a teaspoon or so of the rub leftover after).
6. In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil. Make sure your skillet is hot (I gave it about 1-2 mins).
7. Carefully place your salmon fillet on the pan and allow to cook for 4 mins on 1 side. Flip it over and cook for about 3-4 mins on the other side. The spice rub should be nicely charred and the salmon should be flaky. Remove from heat, set on a plate and cover with foil.
8. In the same skillet (with the leftover oil and spices from the salmon), throw in leftover rub, carrots, tomatoes, garlic, and onion. Mix and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until tomatoes soften and onions are translucent.
9. In a separate bowl, mix together vegetable stock and corn starch. Once combined, pour mixture into the skillet with the cooking veggies and combine. Allow to simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
10. Add milk and Gouda (optional) to the skillet, cook for another 1 minute and turn off heat.
11. Squeeze juice of half lemon over the veggie mixture. (Squeeze the other half over the salmon)
12. Spoon out veggies on a bowl or plate and top with a piece of salmon fillet. Give the salmon a good squeeze of lemon and garnish with more cilantro.
We ate ours with chopped kale and half an avocado each and it was DIVINE!