This was such an easy and quick dinner! It took just under 30 minutes (Including prep time!). Perfect for nights when you are lacking motivation to cook or are simply bored of everything else. What I love about this lemon rice is that it is so light on the masalas. Sometimes in Indian households, we tend to overkill with the spices which often diverts from how amazingly simple, yet delicious, Indian food can be.
I used brown rice instead of white, but feel free to use any rice you’d like. This would also work great with quinoa, if that’s what you’re into!
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did! Thank you for the love and if you do end up trying it, please feel free to share your pictures with me on Instagram @kavitaarjungi.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 1/2 Cups of Brown Rice
- 2 Tablespoon of ghee
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 large onion
- 3 Green Serrano chilis sliced in half length wise
- 1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 Teaspoon Asafoetida
- 1/2 Cup roasted peanuts
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
How to put it together:
- Wash and rinse brown rice with water. Cook the rice in 2.5 cups of water and turn off heat when rice is about halfway cooked.
- In a skillet, heat ghee with mustard seeds, cumin, peanuts, curry leaves, and green chilis. Cook for about a minute or until the spices start to sizzle.
- Add the onion and cook until onions are translucent and soft.
- Add the Turmeric, Asafoetida, and salt, and fry together for about 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Add semi-cooked rice and lemon juice to the turmeric mixture and mix well.
- You are now ready to serve your lemon rice! Goes great with any dal or even raita.